Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanged Iron Arrowheads
This is in answer to Sajid's request for examples of iron arrowheads with a tang. The photographs show three styles of trilobate heads, all pictured alongside a 3-inch ruler (so you will have to convert to centimeters). These were collected out of context by individuals using metal detectors, so it's difficult telling who made them. I have smaller examples, but they appear to be Scythian or Saka and made for the smaller (shorter) bows without siyahs (ears); they were not photographed. These examples are larger, used with the "Hunnic"-styled bow. They were used from the 2nd to 5th centuries by the Sarmatians, Alans, and Romans.

It's 15 degrees below zero here in Maine, so I froze my hands while taking these pictures. Confused

These are elongated trilobates. They would be either Roman or Sarmatian/Alan. The tangs have deteriorated, so they would have been slightly longer.

Here we have "broadheads." Although trilobated, they are wider and shorter. This gives roughly the same weight to the head as found in the elongated version. Again, they were probably used by Romans or "barbarians."

I'm skeptical about these heads. They are larger/heavier. Very possibly, they are medieval and were used with longbows. I don't know much about medieval heads, but again these are trilobated.

Heavier arrow-points cut down on the distance an arrow would travel. The last-pictured heads were possibly used by the Romans for close-shooting, but I doubt they were employed for a "shower of arrows." The Alans and Sarmatians pinpointed individual targets, so the latter could be barbarian.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Tanged Iron Arrowheads - by Alanus - 01-15-2016, 04:39 PM
RE: Tanged Iron Arrowheads - by Dan Howard - 01-15-2016, 09:02 PM
RE: Tanged Iron Arrowheads - by Alanus - 01-15-2016, 11:40 PM
RE: Tanged Iron Arrowheads - by Alanus - 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM