Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter marching
Salve,<br>
<br>
A subject that comes up when discussing the battlefield tactics of the Roman army is how the front ranks were relieved. One of the methods used was that of changing the battle lines, a process by which the front battle line was relieved by a fresh one. However some modern studies suppose that within each battle line the ranks of troops would relieve each other in some manner. My questions therefore are these:<br>
<br>
Would in your opinion the Roman army have used a technique similar to the countermarching of 16th/17th century musketeer formations to let alternate ranks throw their javelins at the enemy or would they be thrown in a formation that would keep all troops at their own spot?<br>
<br>
Would in your opinion the Roman army have relieved the ranks of their heavy infantry formations, during pauses between charges, when engaged in sword fighting?<br>
<br>
In my view the latter at least appears to have some serious drawbacks. Not only would this have great potential for confusion within the formations, but also it would place green troops at some point in the closing rank, which would increase the risk of such troops leaving their position and the collapse of the unit's cohesion. Counter arguments and source references supporting the other point of view would be very welcome though.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Counter marching - by Guest - 03-06-2001, 10:01 AM
issue of rotating lines - by Goffredo - 03-06-2001, 01:40 PM
Re: issue of rotating lines - by Guest - 03-07-2001, 08:14 AM
simulations - by Goffredo - 03-07-2001, 09:25 AM
Re: simulations - by Guest - 03-07-2001, 10:00 AM