Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan vs Christians?
A while ago, I got an unusual request for research help:<br>
<br>
"I'm doing research on Trajan and the Italian War, in specific, the battles of Marignano and Pavia. Could you give me some ideas about why the Battle of Marignano was called the battle of giants? And also, do you know of a speech made by Trajan to the defeated Christians that justified his power over them?"<br>
<br>
This was my response to the inquirer:<br>
<br>
"Dear X, I can find no evidence in my sources for either of these battles nor can I find any hint that Trajan fought a battle against a Christian force.<br>
<br>
"Trajan was actually quite moderate in his dealings with Christians; he advised the governor Pliny, who wrote him for advice on what to do about Christians who refused to honor the Emperor in religious ceremonies, that Pliny should pardon those who had denied the Emperor's divinity if they later recanted, that he should not listen to anonymous accusations labelling others as Christians, that he should NOT seek out Christians to persecute.<br>
<br>
"However, if they did publicly reveal themselves and then refused to comply with Roman law -- that is, to honor the Emperor alongside one's other gods -- only then should they be punished, and severely so. The Romans did not tolerate reckless disregard of Roman law, which they considered would<br>
lead to social disorder and a breakdown in Roman cultural values.<br>
<br>
"I hope this is helpful. If you like, come to our discussion group ( pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk ) and inquire further. I'm sure the members would be very interested to hear more about where you learned of these battles."<br>
<br>
Can anyone besides me offer some insight into this historical mystery? Have I missed some important chapter of Roman history?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Messages In This Thread
Trajan vs Christians? - by JRSCline - 05-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Re: Trajan vs Christians? - by Anonymous - 05-08-2001, 03:26 PM
Pavia and Marignano - by Matthew Amt - 05-08-2001, 03:56 PM
Re: Trajan vs Christians? - by JRSCline - 05-08-2001, 07:40 PM