Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Roman Army Questions
Hello!
I am a fiction writer, and the book series I am currently writing focuses on a Roman soldier in the 1st century. Since I'm a writer and not a historian, I have a BUNCH of questions about the Roman army in general. Hope that I'll be able to get some answers! Here goes:

1. In the movies depicting Romans, it shows the soldiers saluting by putting the clenched fist to their chest. Also, it shows a handshake that is done by both men grasping the other's wrist. Are these customs historically accurate, or is it all Hollywood?

2. In 1st century A.D., when the Christian movement began and those followers of Christ were persecuted, in the event that a Roman soldier converted to Christianity, what would he have done? Would that have gotten him killed if anyone found out?

3. Were there any instances of deserters in the Roman army? I know what would have happened if they were caught, but was there any instance where a deserter actually got away?

4. How were promotions done? Would a situation have arisen where the commanders and captains would have singled out someone and had them rise in the ranks to become a centurion?

5. My story takes place in Antonia Fortress. Would a soldier there have been given time off, or was he allowed to go off the premises when off-duty?

Those are my only questions for now (I guarantee there will be more, so I hope you all like answering questions!) Smile 

I would really appreciate any answers you can give!

Messages In This Thread
Basic Roman Army Questions - by Godgirl97 - 04-12-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: Basic Roman Army Questions - by Nathan Ross - 04-12-2016, 11:02 PM
RE: Basic Roman Army Questions - by Godgirl97 - 04-13-2016, 01:16 PM