Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans
Another nice example of roman humour. Maybe it was not really appreciated by others..<br>
I don't remember the details but the story goes like this: during the republic one of the Ptolemaic kings of Egypt decided to go to war --once again-- with his cousin the Seleucid king of Asia. At that time, Rome didn't need a war there. So the Senate sent an officer and a small troop to meet the King of Egypt who advanced with his big army towards Palestine.<br>
The message of SPQR to the King was simple: "Forget it and go home".<br>
The king answered that he needed time to think about it. At which point the Roman officer drew a very tight circle in the sand around the King's feet with his staff and replied: "Take as much time as you like. Just give me the answer when you step out of that circle".<br>
I find this hilarious. Maybe I'm strange...<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 05-02-2001, 05:07 AM
Re: Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 05-02-2001, 05:13 AM
Re: Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 05-02-2001, 02:54 PM
Re: Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 12-28-2001, 02:52 PM
Re: Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 12-30-2001, 05:37 AM
Re: Humor in the hard-headedness of Romans - by Anonymous - 01-06-2002, 08:28 AM
... - by Catiline - 01-06-2002, 12:54 PM