Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New [i]lorica segmentata[/i] from Austria
Responding to the inquiries for more infos about a "nearly complete" <i> lorica segmentata</i> found in Austria, here's what I know about it:<br>
My source is an austrian popular magazine called "Archäologie Österreichs", one of the 2001 volumes (sorry, forgot to write the reference on my xerox). Under "News", there's a three-page article headlined "Ein römischer Spangenpanzer aus Stillfried an der March". There, in the extreme north-east of Austria (about 40 kms north of Carnuntum, in the <i> barbaricum</i> at the amber road), they found this piece in September 2000 during excavations in an otherwise urnfield-time settlement. It was lying in a round pit (diameter 70 cm), together with stones from a nearby street, snail's shells, bones of a lamb(?) and a deliberately rendered useless oil lamp.<br>
"It seems that all essential pieces are present", front, breast, back and shoulder parts including fittings. The girth hoops have a width of 7 cm, the loops "are decorated with bronze sheet metal" and at the lower end of the front(?) side, "one could recognize a bronze band".<br>
"It seems that the leather parts had rotted away before the cuirass was ritually buried in the pit; maybe it had been displayed on the top of a pole close to the road for a period of time before." For stratigraphical and historic reasons, a dating for the disposal in the reign of Trajan or Hadrian is suggested.<br>
The find had been secured in gypsum and transferred to the restoration workshops of the RGZM in Mainz for further examination; I don't know about the present status of it.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps!<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umagisternavis.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Magister Navis</A> at: 1/7/02 12:00:51 am<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
New [i]lorica segmentata[/i] from Austria - by Anonymous - 01-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Gurgling!! - by Matthew Amt - 01-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Re: Gurgling!! - by mcbishop - 01-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Re: New lorica segmentata from Austria - by Anonymous - 01-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Re: New lorica segmentata from Austria - by Anonymous - 01-07-2002, 04:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 620 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,188 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 667 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong