Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet inscription
Checked the references Martin posted. Bogaers doesn't help, he mentions the helmet in a list of Roman helmets found in Holland. The only extra information is that there is a note attached in the helmet with the finders name on it. Interesting trivia, but doesn't help.<br>
In MacMullen, 'Inscriptions on Armor', American Journal of Archaeology 64 (1960), 23ff, some more inscriptions with numbers are mentioned (though this helmet is missing). Those are nearly all accompanied by a unit indication, i.e. 'L', 'COH' or 'T'. Most common is naming the century to which the soldier belonged.<br>
The shape of this helmet and the place where it was found, on the Dutch Island of Texel correspond well with Germanicus' amphibious' operations in 15 and 16CE, but the type and name of this ship does not. Why build a huge warship, for something like 400/500 rowers were required, if the only goal was to transport troops? Tacitus description (Ann.II.6 & 23) does not imply Mediterranean warships, but local adaptations for transport, altough it cannot be excluded. He mentions that some ships were decked and equipped with catapults.<br>
Furthermore, no ships bigger than trieres are known for the provincial fleets. Lastly, this would be the first ship named Hirundo, no other ship of that name is known, while some other names are very common (Ops, Minerva, etc.).<br>
I'm curious to see that anchor symbol, and Klumbach says that the inscription is hard to read, maybe it's time to ask the museum where the helmet is stored for some photos? I would really like to be able to conclude that this helmet belonged to a sailor or marine of the Classis Germanica!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Messages In This Thread
Roman helmet inscription - by Jasper Oorthuys - 11-30-2001, 07:41 PM
Re: Roman helmet inscription - by Anonymous - 12-28-2001, 01:32 AM
Re: Roman helmet inscription - by Jasper Oorthuys - 12-28-2001, 02:38 AM
Re: Roman helmet inscription - by Jasper Oorthuys - 01-05-2002, 03:16 PM
helmets - by Anonymous - 01-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Re: helmets - by Jasper Oorthuys - 01-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Re: helmets - by Jasper Oorthuys - 01-10-2002, 05:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Legion size based on the Perge Inscription FlaviusB 28 1,331 04-12-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Needed: Defaced inscription of Stilicho in the Roman Forum sonic 3 1,865 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Last Post: SigniferOne