Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks
Thank you Robert - I was prompted to post again by Sean Manning drawing attention to the publication of the excavation of an intact Thracian tomb containing an intact leather  - covered in scales - Tube-and-Yoke  corselet. This intact tomb is perhaps second only to the Vergina tombs in importance, and it had a curious connection to Philip iI's tomb there. Very exciting! ( see "Unusual Thracian corselet" thread ) 

I don't expect I'll post often. Much of the subject matter on RAT these days reminds me too much of 'Groundhog Day', LOL!

Anyway, to get back to the subject, I attach another diagram, this time from Xenophon's "Constitution" giving a brief description of Spartan drill, for the later 12 deep (in 'normal' or 'open' order) 'enomotia'/platoon.........

As can be seen from these two postings, it is incorrect to say we have no descriptions of 'hoplite drill'. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by Paullus Scipio - 08-21-2016, 04:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear JaM 247 79,007 12-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Bryan