Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks
....And Greetings to Paul B. as well ! Smile

I had noticed over the years that your interest in ancient warfare seemed to have waned somewhat, which I assumed was due to pressures of time due work, family etc - even your blog was not so active - so it is good to hear that you have found time to collaborate with Fred Ray on a forthcoming book!

Giannis wrote:
Quote:I'm sure you are aware of all this, but when we say that there are not drill manuals for the greek hoplites, this is only half true, because neither Arrian nor Asklepiodotus really distinguish between macedonian and greek style phalanxes for their work. In contrast they specify that their manuals are written for both. And their earlier sources are 4th and 3rd centuries bc, a time when the classical type hoplite was still a major presence on the battlefields!

The three versions of the "Hellenistic Manuals" that have come down to us (Arrian, Aelian and Asclepiodotus) are believed to be derived from that of Poseidonius (floreat circa 100 BC), and perhaps go back ultimately to Polybius (floreat 150 BC - late second century). They were certainly written with contemporary Macedonian - type phalanxes in mind, but since the process of phalanx drill was evolutionary they could be said to cover classical hoplites as well. We must be careful however for some of the manoeuvres described are complex and certainly theoretical, and never happened on a battlefield, as can be seen from comparisons with historical accounts. It is probably best to stick with the contemporary Xenophon for 'Classical Hoplite' practise, rather than speculate how much of the Hellenistic manuals may relate to earlier times.
As to reforming in 'open order' from 'close order', it is certainly more difficult than 'closing up', but that it was done is certain for both Arrian [32] and Aelian [42] provide verbal commands for this.....

The classical 'Hoplite' seems to have disappeared in Greece from the second quarter of the third century onward, for example Thebes adopted the Celtic 'long shield'/thureos not long after the Galatian invasion of 279 BC, which in turn gave way to their phalanx being armed 'in the Macedonian fashion' circa 245 BC. Other Greek states will have followed suit, even the conservatively minded Spartans fielding a phalanx 'armed in the Macedonian fashion' by the 220's BC.

(08-22-2016, 12:22 AM)Paul Bardunias Wrote: I have video of doubling, charging, different overlap styles, and the othismos tests. Some mine, some others have sent.

Have you put these up anywhere ( e.g. YouTube) ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by Paullus Scipio - 08-22-2016, 12:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear JaM 247 78,959 12-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Bryan