Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can't 3d print history
What PC culture?

"This is about censorship, in my opinion. If there are folks in the world who want to delete things from the historical record, they need to be restored. It's as simple as that. This is not any different from book-burning. This is an attempt by folks to exorcise portions of history."

"We can never have the same image as before Isis," he said. "We are trying to be realistic. But what we want to do is respect the scientific method and the identity of Palmyra as a historic site."

The article then cautions against this mindset and says the same thing as you.

"The dangerous precedent suggests that if you destroy something, you can rebuild it and it has the same authenticity as the original."

As far as I can tell the arch was constructed as a protest against the deprivations of ISIS, and has nothing to do with political correctness.

"Artists and scholars wanted to do something positive, to say that what is happening is terrible, but let's celebrate the creativity coming out of it, and the people challenging what Isis are doing."

Personally I think that everything on display in a museum should be a replica and the originals stored away safely for study. The public can't tell the difference. My favourite displays are the ones that show the item as it looked when it was dug up and next to it is a reconstruction that shows how it looked when it was in use.

Sometimes 3d printed items are actually better than the originals. They have started 3d scanning and printing cuniform tablets but scaling them up 200% so that the text is easier to study.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Messages In This Thread
You can't 3d print history - by Eric LeClair - 08-17-2016, 12:20 AM
RE: You can't 3d print history - by Dan Howard - 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM
RE: You can't 3d print history - by Eric LeClair - 08-17-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: You can't 3d print history - by Dan Howard - 08-17-2016, 11:17 PM