Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearskins
Salve,<br>
<br>
A <i> pedes</i> (plural <i> pedites</i>) was a foot soldier. It did not have the specific meaning of ranker or private, for which other terms were used, such as <i> simplaris</i> (soldier on standard (literally single) rate of pay) or <i> gregalis</i> or <i> gregarius</i> ('herd animal'). A <i> signifer</i> or standardbearer in the imperial army ranked among the <i> duplicarii</i>, the soldiers on double rate of pay, and belonged to the group that was eventually called the <i> principales</i>. These formed a category similar to modern NCO's, occupying an intermediate posision between the rank and file and the officers.<br>
<br>
Vegetius was under the impression that in his days infantrymen no longer used armour, which iconographic evidence and other references seem to contradict. Therefore he adds that these categories, even if they were infantrymen, still used body armour.<br>
<br>
An English translation of Vegetius is:<br>
<br>
Milner, N.P., <i> Vegetius: epitome of military science</i> (Liverpool 1993) 152p.<br>
<br>
Though the Latin text has been made available on the internet, a full translation is not (yet) online. The fullest one that is available, might be properly classed as an interpretation rather than a translation, so it is better to read Milner's edition.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/29/02 11:49:13 am<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
Bearskins - by Anonymous - 08-27-2002, 11:54 PM
Re: Bearskins - by Guest - 08-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Re: Bearskins - by Anonymous - 08-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Re: Bearskins - by Guest - 08-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Re: Bearskins - by Gashford - 08-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Re: Bearskins - by Guest - 08-29-2002, 09:48 AM