Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was the Roman Army in AD408?
(11-13-2017, 07:37 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Why would 'the flower of the whole Roman army' be based in Dalmatia at this point? The phrase suggests that these were the very elite of the western field army - presumably the Ioviani and Herculiani and other palatine legions, or the most senior units of the palatine auxilia.
[..]
What had happened to the 'thirty numeri' assembled there by Stilicho for his war against Radagaisus a few years before? Had all the best soldiers been defeated under Sarus?
[..]
Wherever they came from originally, Valens's six thousand men (whether four units or five - and does this figure include a cavalry component, or not?) were completely annihilated by Alaric before reaching Rome. It's a shame we don't know more about where this battle might have taken place, since it apparently saw the total destruction of the last best troops in the western Roman army!... somewhere in Tuscany, or perhaps on the Flaminian Way, might be the best guess I suppose.

I think that Stilicho considered his rivalry with Constantinople a far bigger threat that anything else. It was his downfall in the end, and the downfall of Rome.

Maybe most of them had been sent back? The Rhine defences had been depleted but the Rhine frontier was not immediately overrun. Also, invading groups in Gaul would have to be taken care of, so apart from the losses against Alaric, I assume that this army was broken up to perform a dozen or so defensive tasks.

I can't recall that battle? Maybe they just went over to Alaric after Stilicho's death?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was the Roman Army in AD408? - by Robert Vermaat - 11-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Troops in Rome, AD408-410? Nathan Ross 16 3,805 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat