Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosporan War under Diocletian?
(02-26-2017, 03:31 PM)MichaelĀ Kerr Wrote: You may already be aware of it but the late Russian historian Benjamin Nadel wrote a paper on this supposed war in the 60s

I wasn't - thanks! A very interesting, and very detailed paper. I do think that Nadel has perhaps too readily overlooked the possibilities of this supposed war having happened at a different date though - although there's so very little to go on it's all speculation. But he makes a lot out of a little even so!

I did wonder whether a conflict like this might have happened as a repercussion of civil war within the empire - if the king of the Bosporus was perhaps a client or supporter of the losing side, and his invasion of Pontus intended to support his candidate by threatening the northern frontier, then he could still be 'pro-Roman'. If the war was under Diocletian, it might have happened early and been connected with the Margus campaign; if under Severus, the Bosporans could have been backers of Pescennius Niger, perhaps. Such a sideshow could easily have been ignored by Roman historians, more intent on what was happening on the main stage...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Bosporan War under Diocletian? - by Nathan Ross - 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM
RE: Bosporan War under Diocletian? - by Nathan Ross - 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM
RE: Bosporan War under Diocletian? - by kyle1337 - 07-01-2020, 07:35 PM
RE: Bosporan War under Diocletian? - by Justin I - 12-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  End of Bosporan Kingdom CaesarAugustus 0 835 02-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  the Bosporan kingdom Jordanicus 4 2,077 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross