Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving an army
Ave Civitas,

I am beginning research on a novel that begans with Theodosius's departure from Constantinopolis and culminates with the battle of Frigidus.
  Like my first novel, "Promotus" concerning Alaric in the Rhodopes, I want to use this novel as an avenue to both entertain and to educate the reader.
  Since most of the novel will play out during the march, I am in need of information about moving an army that large across a friendly landscape.
  There is quite a bit of discussion on RAT about the Roman Army marching camps, but those, I assume were built, used, and dismantled while traveling in hostile territory.
  The campaign against Eugenius and Arbogast was not a spur of the moment decision, so I am assuming that the Praetorian Praefect (I think that was Rufinus at this date) had been directed to stockpile fodder and rations along the planned route.  I bought the book "Logistics of the Macedonian Army" which gives good detail on how an army that large was moved, but Alexander sacrificed the carrying capacity of oxen for the speed and mobility of mules in his logistics plan.
  Do you guys think that Theodosius would have used oxen and be limited to twelve miles a day, or relied solely on mules for material transport?
  I assume Alaric and his Goths joined and traveled as part of the army somewhere along the route.  I suppose they used their own transport, wagons probably, to carry their own material, and I assume they formed their traditional carrago camps each night.
  I am posting this same question at UNRV.
  Any information or sources of information (books for instance) would be appreciated.

As always, You guys are great.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Messages In This Thread
Moving an army - by Lothia - 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM
RE: Moving an army - by Steven James - 03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
RE: Moving an army - by Lothia - 03-30-2017, 02:34 AM
RE: Moving an army - by Steven James - 03-30-2017, 06:42 AM
RE: Moving an army - by Nathan Ross - 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM
RE: Moving an army - by Mola - 04-01-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Moving an army - by Lothia - 04-01-2017, 01:35 PM