Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D B Campbell The Roman Army in Detail: The Problem of the First Cohort
Dear Steven.
Concerning the Ten-century-cohort I agree with you that it needs more clarification (some other comments above are difficult to understand). I stood under the impression that Stefan refers to the 1st cohort only. But I could be wrong here.
...and about the old manipulus: yes, I agree that the system has probably (!) longer survived than believed. Hyginus' camp-order is completely based upon the manipulus. And independely if his camp relates to the early imperial time or the late republic - it cannot be denied that parts of this system have survived. But it is debatable whether the system was kept to organize the inner ranking-structure or to keep the old administration - or whether it was really applied on battle field as done centurier ago. Against this theory is speaking that all new auxilaries are always organized in cohorts, and not in manipuli.
Anyway, since I have not written the paper, and since I don't play for other people the "advocatus diaboli", I have sent all your question to Stefan and he promised me to answer all question if he can.

Messages In This Thread
RE: D B Campbell The Roman Army in Detail: The Problem of the First Cohort - by Marcel Frederik Schwarze - 05-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea jkaler48 104 23,451 07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Xanten gates-need info with more detail Arahne 2 1,408 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis