Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domitius Ahenobarbus Relief Sculpture Gladius Hispaniensis
Here is one of my recent Gladii constructions. The "Domitius Ahenobarbus Hispaniensis."

It was commissioned and sold.  Just showing it for those who like Roman Swords and Roman Art / Sculptures.

I also am in the price of gearing up my shop to make Scabbards, and hopefully casting bronze within the next year.

If you have any questions about this swords, I would be happy to answer them.  

The Hispaniensis was a research museum project.  I spent months researching and studying the Domitius Ahenobarbus relief and seeing other people's interpretation of it along with my clients.  Many other attempts at this sword hilt have it with dimpled impressions in the guard, both top and bottom.  My interpretation of it is Carved beading along the top edge of the guard.  Other attempts at this hilt has the spirals on the grip going in the opposite direction.  Not claiming my interpretation is correct or superior to any others.  I just see the shadowing differently.  It can be difficult to interpret what the "Artist / Sculptor" was using as his reference more than 2100 years ago.

The sword blade was originally forged many years ago by Mark Marrow, but never finished by him.  I believe Matt Lukes ground one side, but for whatever reason did not finish the sword.  It was sold to be used as an example at the museum for what a forged blade looked like on one side and the other side ground.  The blade eventually ended up in the hands of at least two other people before it made it's was to me.  

The blade alone weighed well over 3lbs. without a hilt and had a balancing point of 14" from the guard.  (That tells you how much metal was in the point.)  The blade was 9.3mm thick at the point and 7.4mm thick at the guard. (Reverse Distal Taper?)  I reworked the sword, trying not to lose the outside shape of the blade while removing more stock material.  The entire sword now weighs 2lbs, 1.4 oz (With the hilt) and has a balancing point of about 8" from the guard.  A little more than what I would like it to be balance wise, but it has to do with what I had to work with.  

The hilt has an inset Bronze Guard Plate (Client's desire) and the hilt is hand carved from White Holly with a low profile Bronze Pommel Finial.

I am open to comments, questions and "Good" Criticism...  Big Grin

I am currently researching 1st - 3rd Century ad Spatha Swords and Pugios.  So if anyone has research materials, pictures, or website links to share, I would greatly appreciate it. You can post them on this threat or PM me.  I like a good challenge, especially swords and scabbards that are not that common amongst Reenactors.  So, if you have pictures, drawings or any other Roman Art, Sculptures of swords that are not common... I'd love to see them.

--Patrick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Domitius Ahenobarbus Relief Sculpture Gladius Hispaniensis - by Pointer - 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Republic Gladius Hispaniensis Creon01 2 2,073 07-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Gladius hispaniensis munazio planco 3 1,428 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius Hispaniensis. Gaius Julius Caesar 9 2,740 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar