Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenticular pattern welded swords
Thanks Ivor for the info, I also not one to disagree with Vince Evans, at Sutton hoo and the BM have had replicas made with a fuller, The cross section Ivor has put up would say fuller but anyway. Back to subject I have looked through Miks now I cannot say I have counted ever one due to the pictures but what I can see lenticular , there are 15 straight welded core blades and 10 with twisted core blades. The one from Arbeia has twisted core so these would take you up to at least 4th AD Roman, with a good amount of fittings to choose from. My thoughts on pattern welded blades during the Roman period is these were made not for the pattern but to make a viable blade considering the vast amount of swords in use during this period, a blacksmith could make more blades from a good piece of steel if wrought iron could be used for the core for private sales. After the fall of the Empire, and iron production collapsed leading to the emergence of the pattern welded blade  which comes to dominate blade construction. So hovering around the Roman period with other cultures it may be hard to find a blade pattern welded with all the good blade material around to make a sword with.
There is also this book,
https://boydellandbrewer.com/the-sword-i...nd-pb.html
My late dear friend John Anstees work on pattern welding blades was used in the book, he did a vast amount of work on pattern welded blades other wise he might of been able to help  Sad Good luck with your project and please show the outcome  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lenticular pattern welded swords - by brennivs - tony drake - 08-29-2017, 06:23 PM