Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment?
(09-11-2017, 10:29 PM)FlavivsĀ Aetivs Wrote: Not all of that is correct. The pommel cap and slider aren't original to the find, and the "guard and pommel" reconstruction are incorrectly proportioned.

Also he's talking about the Deepeeka version. Which admittedly I should have gotten Gagan to put a shallow fuller on instead of a hexagonal blade.

You can find the original Feltwell excavation report here its free:

EAA 31, 1986: Settlement, Religion and Industry on the Fen-Edge; three Romano-British sites in Norfolk, by David Gurney.

http://eaareports.org.uk/publication/report31/

It doesnt mention a fuller of any kind and the cross section given is not much help other then to suggest a flat blade.
It gives several potential reconstructions of the grip based on period swords, though I think theres better info available now, the grip itself has been identified as red deer antler probably.
and does say:

"The strap-holder which appears to belong with the sword
was found in 286, a layer of rubble and rubbish in the
frigidarium ."

My personal view is it could have been used by anyone...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? - by Crispianus - 09-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,679 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman army Re-enactment Titus 2 1,710 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,467 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius