Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DNA of a cross section of the Roman military in NW Europe
(09-12-2017, 08:43 PM)Petertimber Wrote: I would like to pose a question concerning DNA of a cross section of obvious north European coloration and facial features. I do not know if it possible to quantify whether those northern European appearance amongst the current population (Military Records) of  their DNA would substantiate  a connection with those in Britain/Ireland/the Netherlands?  Perhaps the University of London might be persuaded to make it a PhD  pursuit (at least initially to warrant a  further more detailed government (Britain/Italy) study based upon the University findings??  Thank You for lending me your ears as it were.

[mod mode on] I have split this post from the thread about the legio X Fretensis because it is completely unrelated to that discussion. [mod mode off]

Peter, I greatly doubt that it is possible to make a correlation between military records and dna - one would first have to be able to find the remains of a soldier and take dna samples from it. The numbers needed to make a connection between race (I take it you mean that by 'obvious north European coloration and facial features') and the Roman military are to my knowledge unavailable.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - by Robert Vermaat - 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman cross-bows Theodosius the Great 25 6,777 01-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Lucius Aurelius Metellus