Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial in Chattalka of a cavalry officer from the Roman auxiliary and his belt.
Military (Auxiliary) buckles of the Roman period from Great Thracian mound necropolis,location Chattalka ,district Stara Zagora city ,present Bulgaria. Currently in the Archeological Museum in Sofia.
The two buckles (from Chattalka and Karanovo) are made in a unique (non-analogous) way .The way of assembly, shape, technology everything is very similar between the two artifacts. I have no doubt that these two buckles are made into a same jewelry workshop. Possibly by the same master (or team). Unfortunately, this buckle (from Chattalka) is not accompanied by deco plates.
One major difference between this two artifacts is that the buckle from Chattalka is decorated  with Eagle heads and the one from Karanovo with swan heads. But this leads to the conclusion that the master is an admirer of Zeus. Because the birds are a sign of Zeus with which he identifies himself. Mythology proves it. So I do not recognize it as a difference, but on the contrary as a great similarity! What coincidence of mythology, forms and technologies between this two buckles!The antique jeweler master here in Chattalka buckle also uses the same techniques as like in the buckle from Karanovo ,inlay technology with silver wires. But here with Chattalka buckle red enamel is well visible also.
The buckle tongue of the Chattalka buckle is also unmatched! It is in the form of phallus with testicles! Of course this is without an erotic idea .Here it is about masculinity and bravery! Simply the master points out that the owner of the buckle has "balls" for the military tasks he has taken up. Nowhere can be seen such a buckle in Roman military archeology! Unfortunately the information on this subject is very limited. As regards dimensions and shapes, I have been using publications from the literature from 1986 ,Book  “Excavations and Studies by the Academy of Sciences”. Most probably the maid workshop in antiquity has produced many of these buckles of these models. Probably There were other variations and creative views. But to my regret we are  familiar only with these 2 findings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/

Messages In This Thread
Burial in Chattalka of a cavalry officer from the Roman auxiliary and his belt. - by Rado - 10-31-2017, 07:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxiliary belt Thracian I AD Karanovo model Rado 6 2,011 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Cavalry Tunic with woven belt pictures Cheyenne 24 5,291 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Re: 1st century Auxiliary cavalry jvrjenivs 44 8,483 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Last Post: garrelt