Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Needed: Roman Legate Appearance(s)?
Hey there,

I'm currently working on a project - 3D-game related, realistic aesthetic - and need some help when it comes to accurately portraying a Roman Legate through various times of Rome's history and through different types of weather (2nd Century BC -> 1st Century AD -> 3rd Century AD + warm / rainy / cold). I would be making more than one legate for each time period, so there would be lots of variety to distinguish between the characters, meaning lots of opportunity for different types of clothing / equipment worn for them rather than just one set where they all look the same. They can also be distinguished by their level (e.g. their rank in the game goes from 1 - 10, so they could look more "grand" or "rich" the higher their rank). The kind of things I'm looking for them are:

• Clothing (tunics, cloaks, footwear, belts etc)

• Armour (helmets, torso + command ribbon, greaves, pouldrons etc)
• Weapons + Scabbards
• Other (e.g. coin purses, bags, straps, crests - anything else I haven't thought of that could give more visual variety between them)

I kind of have an idea on what a Legate may have worn in the 2nd Century BC / 1st Century AD and during warmer weather (see images below), but I currently have no idea what they would have worn (helmets, armour, footwear, cloaks, weapons etc) in the 3rd Century AD or when it rained / was cold, or how their appearances would vary based on their status or rank in society. Are there any historical depictions of them that I can copy from or research describing what they may have worn? If not, I would have to take some artistic liberty with that stuff, but I'd like to depict them as historically as I can. 

2nd Century BC
http://www.darganbullivant.com/wp-conten...Romans.jpg

1st Century AD
http://s5.postimage.org/67sqzuiuf/caesar.jpg

Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks,

Ben

Messages In This Thread
Help Needed: Roman Legate Appearance(s)? - by Benjin - 12-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bucelarius appearance JP Vieira 25 6,184 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM