Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius
Ring Pommels were retro fitted to gladivs and spatha in a roman contex. This is what I was meaning in my post   Smile  As you are looking at the reign of Aurelius, in my opinion this is when they changed and made a longer gladivs not semi spatha,  he had a hard fight in Gemania and had to counter the fact the Romans no longer faced barbarians with there own fighting techniques, but a enemy now using roman swords and adopting the fighting methods, looking at images of soldiers with sword and scabbard in the 3rd AD a ruff guess would be a blade up to 24" inchs. Most scabbards fall just bellow the knee, sorry don't have images to show at hand. Wheel chapes, peltate chapes are the most common depicted with scabbard slide. I don't know what you mean by the different tips  Huh  can you show a image.

This is a ring pommel from Brittania blade length 505mm width 52.4mm 2nd - 3rd AD

My own first quarter  2nd AD
Hope this answers some of your query  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Legionnaire Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius - by brennivs - tony drake - 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 578 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,105 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Marcus Aurelius in Asia Logarythmus 4 2,609 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus