Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake?
The IG/J in question was originally a part of the de Walden collection, willed to the National Museum of Wales. Currently, it is on display at the Roman Legionary Museum in Caerleon (Cat No.47409). The left (proper) cheek guard is a modern plastic replacement. There is evidence that some of the fitments, e.g. for attachment of the crest box, were there originally but have long since rusted away. In general, however, Robinson's description matches the object in question.

It is worth mentioning the Robinson knew of only one example of the helmet type. There are, in fact, two more. One came from the same source as the Caerleon helmet, i.e. Bregetio in Hungary, while the second (i.e. the 3rd known) comes from Italy. All three are characterised by the extreme slope and width of the brow and/or neck guard. However, the sloped brow guard is only really to be seen in the Caerleon example.  The 2nd of the type is on display in the Art History Museum in Vienna but I don't know where the Italian example of currently (although, strangely, I do have an invoice number for it!)

Sorry All, somehow I have posted the pictures in the previous post! My bad! Both shots show the Caerleon helmet. 

There may be a dispute as to whether one of the other helmets as an "I" or a "J". The problem is that the slope of the neck guard is a matter of opinion rather than a specific measurement. Ditto for the slope of the brow guard. To me, they both look to be of the "J" type, rather than the "I" variety. Feel free to disagree!  Tongue Rolleyes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imperial Gallic J - Robbinson's mistake? - by Caratacus - 03-23-2018, 04:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,488 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,876 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,775 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov