Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Occurrence of Verdigris and other patinas in the common hoplite panoply.
I agree, and also, gentle polishing is not that damaging.  You don't need aggressive cleaners or hard sand, just a rag and maybe some dust.  The important thing is that you clean it every time you use it, and store it somewhere safe from water and debris.

People who try to shellack metal tools such as armour find it is a disaster, because the coating yellows and because eventually decay starts underneath and the only solution is to strip it off.  People obviously have more success with waxes, oils, and other fluid coatings on steel but I don't know of evidence for waxing bronze in antiquity.

In later periods, ferrous plate armour only had a working life of a generation or two anyways.  Eventually it would be too old-fashioned or too worn and get remade into something else or put away as a curiosity.

Really, the best thing is to buy something from Neil Burridge, put it up on a high shelf and watch what happens to it!  As long as you don't make a bunch of thumbprints then ignore them, I think you will find that it needs less maintenance than you think.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Occurrence of Verdigris and other patinas in the common hoplite panoply. - by Sean Manning - 10-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 978 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,805 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Hoplite Panoply Avatar 12 5,856 01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr