Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian)
Hello,

I've found some interesting late antiquity cemeteries near Aquileia. And for the sake of my living project history I've decided to reconstruct one of those graves: it's n. 44 of Iutizzo. The grave it's dated to about 352 or slightly after thanks to the presence of two coins (of which I can't find pictures). Apparently the deceased was interpreted as a soldier (perhaps of Magnentius or Constantius II)  or a civil servant because of the presence of both the Propellerbeschlage style belt and Zwiebelknopffibel. He had a small amphora too (mid roman 3).

The Propellerbeschlage style belt is the only one found complete here in Friuli. The belt was apparently long 120 cm with the Propellerbeschlage every 15 cm, such a big guy!, the Propellerbeschlage have almost all the same dimensions, the further from the buckle the slightly smaller they become so the belt must have been somewhat triangular. Small pieces of mineralized leather were found, it was 3mm thick. Apparently no terminal plate was found. The buckle is 8,6 x 7,5 cm, with the square of 5,8 cm, the Propellerbeschlage vary from 5,8 x 2,4 cm to 4,9 x 2 cm.

The Zwiebelknopffibel aka crossbow brooch was long 9,6 cm, had an height of 3,2 and a width of 6,6 cm.

I am quite happy with this project so far, my thesis was about the Tractus Italiae Circa Alpes and Claustra Alpium Iuliarum, altough personally I'm not that interested in the military matters but rather on the material culture. The project provides me the possibily of reconstructing some of this material culture and possibily to use those reconstruction for teaching purpose at the University's archeological excavation.

[Image: getImg.jpg] [Image: get-Img-1.jpg] [Image: get-Img-2.jpg] [Image: get-Img-3.jpg]

[Image: get-Img-4.jpg] [Image: get-Img-5.jpg] [Image: get-Img-6.jpg] [Image: get-Img-7.jpg]

[Image: get-Img-8.jpg] [Image: get-Img-9.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-22-2019, 02:15 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-25-2019, 01:08 PM
RE: Late roman civilian need help for his kit (Constantinian) - by Titus Vettidius Cladus - 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM