Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polybius or Plutarch for 3rd Mantinea ?
Unfortunatley I forgot to take my camera to the refight of 3rd Mantinea.
The game went along historical lines - a defeat for the Spartans but Philopoemen was killed in action as the two Tarantine mercenary cavalry forces cancelled each other out.
I found the description of Philopoemen`s counter-attack in Polybius a little confusing at first until I realised that the Spartans were probably advancing in echelon and so only the leading pike sub-units managed to cross the ditch. Philopoemen (or some other commander) would have then been able to attack the leading Spartan unit`s left flank with a division of infantry without exposing their right flank to the rest of the Spartan line which was still behind the ditch.

Re. the defensive ditch.
Today there is a road which crosses the valley of Mantinea to the south of the ancient city`s walls. It is conceivable that this road had drainage ditches on both sides of it; making it a formidable obstacle to the on-coming Spartan pikemen if it had recently been cleared before the battle.
I have noted a googleearth image:
[img][Image: Mantineia-ditch-and-Spartan-advance-jpeg...-width.jpg][/img]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Polybius or Plutarch for 3rd Mantinea ? - by Michael Collins - 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A bungled deployment at 1st Mantinea? Michael Collins 0 577 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Need some information about Mantinea 207 BCE Gladius Hispaniensis 66 22,063 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Ildar
  spartan army at Mantinea 418 BC Marcvs75 64 18,652 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Paralus