Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question: Dating for 'Coolus' helmet types
Hi all

Doing a bit of research into the 'Coolus' typology, trying to establish a rough date for the appearance of the different types, and I have a question about the dating for the 'coolus' - Robinson types C and E.

Do any of you happen to have a source which provides a reliable dating for either of these types, preferably an archaeological find from a sealed context? 
So far, I've been able to find a large amount of relative dating behind these types, largely following the typochronology Robinson established by naming everything with A, B, C, etc.
I've also found a lot of ball park dates (ie. 1st C AD), but struggling to find examples which are given a more precise dating.

Also, what is the general feeling of you all about the different types of 'Coolus' - is it just me or do some of the divisions in type seem too arbitrary?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Question: Dating for 'Coolus' helmet types - by M. Helvius - 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 374 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  New Coolus Helmet Found in the Netherlands? jho 4 2,061 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Besancon Helmet Dating (IMp. Gal. F ) caiusbeerquitius 2 1,568 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius