Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata
I've been looking into armorĀ  for quite some time. In the end I chose a Lorica Squamata. Apart from the fact that it's an intersting choice in regards to what most others use. It's also the only one I have faith in that I can make/assemble myself. So I did my research, looked trough the literature and collected a large folder of reference material. There are only just a few details that are unclear to me. Perhaps you all can help me.

1) From "Armor from imperial Rome" I understand that the percentage of overlap of the scales is always the same, so that smaller scales proportionally have the same amount of overlap as larger scales. In other words, larger scales overlap visually less than smaller scales but due to thickness of the scales overal thickness is the same. Now my question is this: "What is the consensus in how much scales (width: 25mm height: 37mm) should overlap? Is it so much that the holes are obscured? Is it one third? Or do we simply don't know?"

2) Regarding the way the scales are attached to the padding/vest/lining. In the collected reference meterial I've found that most people use some kind of central thread, either wool or leather, as some kind of guiding line. In the book "Armor from imperial Rome" I've not found any reference to this. Perhaps I've simply overlooked it. My question is this: "What approaches true authenticity the most? Is it some kind of leather thread? If so what thickness? Round? Square? Or is wool equally acceptable?"

3) The reference material that I have shows that ways of opening and closing are all over the place. But "Armor from imperial Rome" talks about only two different ways. On either the back or on the left (shield) side. And if chosen for the left side as long as there is overlap it's just as protected as the rest of the armor. But what is unclear to me is just how it's closed. Is it simply four laces, sown into the liner, that tie together in a knot? Are four small leather belts and buckles more appropriate? Or do we simply don't know for sure?

It's been a real blast making my own armor. For some strange reason I find it soothing and relaxing to attach the scales to one another. This drudgefull, monotonous and to some seemingly endless work. But my mind just wanders to places. Perhaps it's the tought of getting to have my own little piece of inspired history that I get to wear. Wierd isn't it? This passion we call reenacting? But no matter, I hope some of you can shed your light on the questions I have.

With kind regards,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Lover of all things Rome and it's history...
...also an expert eater of pasta.

Messages In This Thread
Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata - by cannonfodder90 - 01-27-2020, 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to build a lorica squamata munazio planco 12 5,918 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Squamata construction Crispvs 22 9,982 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 871 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs