Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx
Also, it is too bad that du Pleiss made his pike shafts so thick. His wattle-wood trunks weighed 6.5 kg (p. 179) and seem to be more than two fingers thick at the butt, while one of the Zürich pikes weighed 2.3 kg. If a replica is more than twice as heavy as the objects it is imitating, it will teach false lessons.

He claims that such heavy pikes were used by the English Civil War reenactors he talked to, but I hope most groups are more sensible! I think everyone who had made replicas has the experince of making the first one too heavy and then making a lighter version after they carry it for a while or read more archaeological reports.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx - by Sean Manning - 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Macedonian phalanx: overarm or underarm? Justin Swanton 3 3,438 03-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  The Nature of Command in the Macedonian Sarissa Phalanx Steven James 0 2,401 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  The Charge of the Macedonian Phalanx rocktupac 11 5,650 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Paralus