Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reclining to Dine
Thanks to all!<br>
<br>
Vortigen(or may I call you Robert?), thank you for reminding me of the Vergilius Romanus. I could not get the other image to load (the box says it's illegally displayed!) but don't fear. I have other sources for the "Little Hunt." The scene from Vergil seems to try to capture the moment at the opening of Book 2: ".. inde toro pater Aeneas sic orsus ab alto:" as Father Aeneas from his high couch began."<br>
<br>
He tells the story of Troy's last night seated. One imagines the hearers either sitting or reclining as the mood strikes them. I suspect that conversation (especially an animated discussion) actually involved many shifts in position. Some experiments with my group have involved the varieties of ways to sip liquid out of a Kylix without ruining the clothing.<br>
<br>
Thanks again everyone. I hope to have some good photos in a couple of weeks when I give the new version of "Symposion et Convivium" at a university in my state during an actual "convivium." They say they have a perfect couch. We'll see. There are some links on my website from previous year's presentations there (Louisiana Tech Honors Colloquium Annual Convivium). Many of the students are very creative in their costuming.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com<br>
<br>
<br>
P.S. Hi, Robert! I noticed the FECTIO link in your last post and not only is that a great website with lots of resources, but I envy your ability to be in Europe with other interested parties and close to new archaeological finds and actual Roman sites. Bona Fortuna! BTW, the links to the last years' conivivia have been changed or deleted. Too bad; some of the students costumes were interesting. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 10/1/03 4:15 pm<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
Reclining to Dine - by rekirts - 09-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Re: Reclining to Dine - by Anonymous - 09-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Re:Reclining to dine - by Anonymous - 09-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Re: Re:Reclining to dine - by rekirts - 09-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Reclining to Dine images - by Anonymous - 09-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Re: Reclining to Dine images - by venicone - 09-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Reclining to dine and ancient sources - by Anonymous - 09-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Re: Reclining to dine and ancient sources - by Anonymous - 09-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Re:Reclining to dine and ancient sources - by Anonymous - 09-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Re: Re:Reclining to dine and ancient sources - by Anonymous - 09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Re: Reclining to dine and ancient sources - by Anonymous - 10-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Reclining to Dine: RED ALERT! Academics are on the case - by Anonymous - 10-02-2003, 11:05 AM