Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield
It's now long been my understanding that, most commonly in the West, it is generally believed that Segmentata replaced Hamata for many of the Legionary soldiers; with the most likely probability that this was due to the enemy weapon array they fought against (heavier slashing weapons, lighter javelins and slingshot); whereas Hamata remained the choice for the Auxiliaries (perhaps due to easier local maintenance and perhaps flexibility (particularly for Cavalry)) and more in the Eastern Empire where the enemy weapons are more commonly arrows at range.

The idea of carrying both types of armor and choosing between them has never occurred to me, I must admit; if it had I would have argued against it simply from the additional logistic burden.  A single mule per contubernium and one or two for the Centurion/HQ 'rubbish' still adds up to a large number, without adding at least another, or two(!) per contubernium just for heavy armour.

Personally I think the idea rather unlikely - but interesting!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield - by Mark Hygate - 10-18-2020, 03:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany Simplex 274 77,300 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 249 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Did Romans bury soldiers in armor or save the armor mrmovieprop 10 3,043 10-25-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Crispvs