Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei
Salve commilitones!

I am currently trying to write a novel focusing on a Numerus (specifically, an exploratorum) and I am having some difficulty discerning the hierarchy of one of these late Roman (mid/late 4th century AD) units.

From the research I have done, would I be correct in assuming they could bet anywhere between 200-500 men strong? Right now I have used Comitatus, Fectio and Wikipedia to help me, but while they give me the ranks, they don't tell me specifically how many men each commanded, or what exactly their role was besides their pay grades. I also searched around here, but only found a few old threads that didn't specifically address my needs, unless I missed something.

For example:
  • Tiro
  • Eques or pedes
  • Semissalis
  • Circitor
  • Biarchus
  • Centenarius
  • Ducenarius
  • Senator
  • Primicerius
  • Tribunus

From this, I have the following questions:

1) If a new Tribunus was appointed, who would be his immediate senior staff, and what would their roles be? 
2) Who is the second in command? The primcerius? 
3) In a unit of say, 400 men, would you have two ducenarius (which I understand command 200 men each) and 4 centenarius? Would either of the ducenarius be a "primus" to indicate seniority?  
4) Would the Vexilarius be counted among senio staff? 
5) What about the praefectus castrorum and the campidoctor, which I know used to be important roles, but are not represented here? What would the "senator" here do?
6) And if I had an attached alae of say, 120 cavalrymen with 4 turmae, would their commander be a praefectus?

At the moment, in a fictitious unit of 400 men, I have 4 centenarius, 1 of which is a primus, two ducenari (one of which is also a primus, and likely the 3rd/4th most senior officer) followed by the primicerius as the senior NCO in command after the tribunus, and also a campidoctor as a drillmaster and praefectus castrorum in charge of fort logistics, repairs and so on. Does this add up? 

I apologise for all the questions, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask. I thank you in advance for your patience, and look forward to hearing your replies!

Vale!
Julian M. Silva Cross

Messages In This Thread
Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei - by jmsilvacross - 10-25-2021, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,693 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,045 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  When would the rank of Praefectus be used in the Late Roman Army Tim Hare 3 1,365 11-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross