Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topos of Barbarians Lacking Siege Engines
In a chapter from 2006 ("Siege Narrative in Livy: Representation and Reality"), Jonathan P. Roth found two more passages, this time in Livy:

Livy 5.44.3-7 "Now the chance is offered to you, men of Ardea, of proving your gratitude for all the kindness that Rome has shown you —you have not forgotten how great it is, nor need I bring it up against those who so well remember it —the chance of winning for your city a vast reputation for war at the expense of our common foe. Those who are coming here in loose and disorderly fashion are a race to whom nature has given bodies and minds distinguished by bulk rather than by resolution and endurance. [4] It is for this reason that they bring into every battle a terrifying appearance rather than real force. Take the disaster of Rome as a proof. [5] They captured the City because it lay open to them; a small force repelled them from the Citadel and Capitol. Already the irksomeness of an investment has proved too much for them, they are giving it up and wandering through the fields in straggling parties. [6] When they are gorged with food and the wine they drink so greedily, they throw themselves down like wild beasts, on the approach of night, in all directions by the streams, without entrenching themselves, or setting any outposts or pickets on guard. And now after their success they are more careless than ever."

Livy 21.25.6-7 "Whilst they lay shut up in Mutina, the Gauls —who know nothing of the art of assaulting cities, and, besides, are very indolent in regard to siege-works, and were now sitting idly down before the walls without attempting them — feigned a readiness to treat for peace;"
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Topos of Barbarians Lacking Siege Engines - by Sean Manning - 05-12-2022, 01:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman generals in general lacking rv 8 3,004 08-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great