Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time and place for this shield boss?
(02-03-2023, 07:41 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Thanks I missed that, likely not worthwhile then...

I was trying to find a PDF tome ( Armement et auxiliaires gaulois) I had by a french? author and had a look through his Acadamia page and found this:

"L’umbo de bouclier fusiforme de la tombe de Campagnac" by L.Pernet

Its also well worth checking out his uploads...
If I understand correctly, Benjamin Girard, Lionel Pernet, and Samuel Mérigeaud think that this is a late type attested from the late second century BCE into the age of Augustus and Claudius. And it is one of the types built more like a Viking Age shield boss, with thick walls that can deflect a sword, than the types which just add some shiny metal to a wooden boss. So It looks like towards the end of the La Tene culture, some Gauls returned to shield bosses which were similar in shape to the very early bosses from southern Germany and Czechia, but which had thick iron walls.

They give a variety of dimensions in their article.

Nobody can know what this shield boss is based on without asking the person who designed it, but I think you have a very good guess of the general type of boss which the designer was thinking of.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time and place for this shield boss? - by Sean Manning - 11-25-2023, 06:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Germanic Shield Boss madoc 12 5,764 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Germanic Shield Boss M. Demetrius 24 11,026 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ghandi
  shield boss Chuck Russell 7 3,667 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MeinPanzer