Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provincial campfollower (prostitute) kit
Quote:she is supposed to be a gual, she has some leather wrapping she wears on the feet, she is a runner in real life, so she has tough feet.

gallic cloak works well I think, or maybe just an old sagum?

Either would probably work. If she's a Gaul, she'll want one of those very wide, sleeved, unbelted tunics that Wild calls 'Gallic coat'. Two of those have actually been found, so a reconstruction is possible with some confidence. The female grave at Les-Martres-de-Veyre also had leggings and sewn 'socks' in it, so those might be the next clothing item on the list.

I'd also think about a carrier bag or basket for everyday items. Both are fairly well attested, and while the upper classes in their iconography made a point of never having one, most people most likely did, most of the time. I can not pronounce on the bag types with any confidence, though - that's still an ongoing research project of mine. Generally, assume a square pattern and up to the size of a modern shopping bag. There may or may not be some stiffening along the top.

Maybe some cooking or textileworking tools? Poor women had to diversify the skill base to make a living, and neither cooking nor clothwork sound like a bad idea in a military environment.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Messages In This Thread
thanks!! - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
prostitute - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 10-25-2005, 02:50 AM
Re: prostitute - by Carlton Bach - 10-25-2005, 07:19 AM
any other kit? - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 10-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Re: any other kit? - by Carlton Bach - 11-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Leather (ahem) Dildos? - by tlclark - 11-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Re: Leather (ahem) Dildos? - by Carlton Bach - 11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
east coast? - by richard - 02-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Re: Provincial campfollower (prostitute) kit - by Carlton Bach - 02-15-2006, 02:13 PM