Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Greek Festival: Re-creating scenes in pottery!
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I am in the process of making a paper on Warrior Departure scenes in red-figure Attic pottery. It turned out that I will be able to attend the Festival, after all, and this would also enable me to present it in front of you - the Participants - and the Public.

In a mail, Paul Allen (aka our Host and Thespian Hoplite) came up with the idea (an idea that I'm fond of), that we could re-create the scenes and film / photograph them, and thus bring back an important domestic occurence of ancient Greece to life! The shots and / or movies would then be used in conjunction with the 'boring' overhead / PowerPoint means in my presentation, and whatnot...

I have created a gallery - which at this point is incomplete but to be updated as I get around to doing it - featuring over twenty of the vases I have been looking at.
It is available here.

If you would like to be part of the project, there are two options:

If you want to contribute to the project indirectly, you may want to lend equipment for the duration of the project (approx. half a day). The Thracian helmet is manifest in a number of the scenes, and if any of you happen to have one we would love to hear from you, as this is a rare item in re-enactment circles, as far as I know.

If you want to assume a role (the Hoplite, wife, mother, father / old man, the Hoplite's comrade-in-arms) in the scenes, simply pick a pot to pose for, and make sure you have the right equipment - if you lack a few items someone may be able to lend you some stuff.

Actually, your dogs can be stars for a day, too. Smile

Paul will hopefully drop by the thread and give further instructions and details later today.

Edit: For those of you who are unaware of the Festival, you may want to check out the official festival site here: http://www.webspawner.com/users/ancientgreekfestiva/index.html.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Ancient Greek Festival: Re-creating scenes in pottery! - by Susanne - 02-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Music Festival Susanna 2 1,333 08-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Susanna
  International Ancient Greek Festival 2007/2008 Anonymous 46 12,632 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Ancient Greek Festival Anonymous 17 4,368 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr