Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk Paint Cracking- Just Live With It?
Avete omnes,

As the subject of this thread suggests, I'm having a bit of difficulty with my milk paint- it's cracking. I'm trying to paint a scutum that has a leather facing and while the back side that is just hide glue-soaked linen went just fine, the leather side is giving me nothing but grief. As the milk paint dries, a large number of hairline cracks form and I have as yet been unable to find any remedy. I sand down the whole thing with very light sandpaper to reduce any raised areas, and re-coat, but continue to get cracking at least minimally. Now the whole thing has a sort of rough texture up close that just bugs me :lol: That might be something that can be lived with for the background color, but it's starting to really suck with the painted decoration- yellow wings, etc.

Rich from LEGXX tells me they have the same problem at times, so I'm just wondering if it's just inherent to the medium or if anyone has found a solution to the problem.

I have found that it's not just the batch as it's happened with more than one color, and I'm not using any binders or other additives.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vale

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Milk Paint Cracking- Just Live With It? - by Matt Lukes - 05-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My First Attempt at Milk Paint Redguru 18 4,328 09-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Redguru
  Milk Paint Mixture Antoninus05 7 2,575 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  more milk paint tips richsc 0 1,346 11-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Last Post: richsc