Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Crocodile Hunter\' Steve Irwin killed
Tim wrote:
Quote:The paradox I was pointing out was that, while he was doing this, he was also supporting certain political leaders whose policies are directly responsible for the habitat destruction that led to him having to preserve that endangered wildlife in the first place.

I could agree it may be a paradox, seen from a certain political viewpoint. But given that the man is dead, it just seems a bit mean-spirited to suggest that his political views make him less worthy than others to be called an environmentalist.

Anyway, I believe the risks Steve Irwin took were calculated, always with a wary eye to striking ranges, species temperment, venom toxicity and other rational factors for risk assessment. He made it look easy because it was second nature for him, having been dealing with animals since a very young age.

That doesn't mean he was invincible, or didn't take an extreme amount of risk. But I won't condemn him for choosing a life on the wild side. I don't think Steve could have lived any other way than exactly how he did.

Having some diving experience, I tried thinking about how one might manage to be killed by a stingray. They are very innocuous animals who invariably prefer flight to fight. The only way I could see it happening is if you somehow put your torso directly above their back. Water wasn't Steve's best element, but he would have known how rays defend themselves.

Apparently the ray was partially buried in the sand. Steve may not have realized the ray was right under him, or if he did, not have thought that simply hovering over it would provoke such an attack. He probably had better sense than to deliberately harass a large ray, when it would've been perfectly poised to strike him in the vital organs.

Just theories. The actual tape will never see light of day, nor should it.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Messages In This Thread
sad - by Goffredo - 09-04-2006, 08:04 AM
a secret - by Caius Fabius - 09-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Re: a secret - by Robert Vermaat - 09-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Sad loss - by Caius Valens - 09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Last words - by Lepidina - 09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
makes you think - by Caius Fabius - 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Re: \'Crocodile Hunter\' Steve Irwin killed - by JRSCline - 09-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Interesting - by Caius Fabius - 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
environmentalist - by Caius Fabius - 09-08-2006, 02:41 AM
if you look - by Caius Fabius - 09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Roman Navy - by Caius Fabius - 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Re: a secret - by Anabasis - 09-09-2006, 03:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trader at TORM Steve Wagstaff Roman stuff muskitear 4 3,027 11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Last Post: muskitear