Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Corinthian Helm as a phallic symbol?
Quote:No other helmet style that I've come across in any culture or era, or weapon unless quite deliberate, even remotely looks phallic. The corinthian does...look at it from the side as well as front, then look at a penis from the side and front. It's too coinicidental I think to be simply chance. They could have easily made that ridge on the corinthian style of helmet a different shape, but it's not. Short of doing a line drawing of a penis side by side with a corinthian, I don't know how else to make my point...errrr...you know what i mean. lol

But I would like to know then just how much the greeks put into phallic symbols and the like...especially concerning warfare. If you think about it, the penis is the ultimate symbol of manhood. Warfare could be considered the ulitmate test of this manhood. Doesn't seem like a far stretch to me to put the 2 together.

Or maybe it's just coincidence that the shape of a helmet that follows the shape of the head and continues down to protect the face is shaped like the head of a penis?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Corinthian Helm as a phallic symbol? - by MeinPanzer - 01-17-2007, 12:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a Corinthian Helm? SapereAude 83 21,773 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Corinthian helm with ears? Tarbicus 11 2,988 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr