Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this have been the shield pattern of Julius Caesar?
Salve,

Yes… this is art,
Yes… this is a coin,
Yes… there could be artistic interpretation, &
Yes… the moneyer could have just made something up but, at the very least I found this to be intriguing.

The obverse of this coin, minted in 48BC, is the head of Clementia who in Roman religion, was the personification of mercy and clemency. Her worship began with her deification as the celebrated virtue of Julius Caesar.

But it is the reverse of the coin that has, what looks to be, a Roman Republican Shield with perhaps, just perhaps, the shield pattern of Julius Caesar’s legions?

Also, to the far right is an axe (one of the emblems of the pontificate) but center is what appears to be an armor manikin, I can’t place the helmet but, there does appear to be a sword and belt around armor (or that is an officer's knot, it's hard to tell).

Could this represent the armor of Caesar’s troops or even the armor that Caesar himself wore?

Could the moneyer have sketched Caesar’s armor, sword, & helmet the way it was stored in his tent and then stylized the reverse of this coin?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Yes, it’s a coin but… I found it intriguing.

[Image: 08454p00.jpg]

Larger example:
[url:fiuw907t]http://imagedb.coinarchives.com/img/kunker/124/08454q00.jpg[/url]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Could this have been the shield pattern of Julius Caesar? - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 05-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historically accurate julius Caesar helmet Jake2993 33 6,748 12-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Sextus Saturninus
  Roman-Frisian shield pattern Maginhard 13 4,805 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Maginhard
  PRAEFECTUS LEGIONIS SEXTAE shield design-pattern Eronnius 20 6,530 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat