Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Later Period Spathas design and construction
For some time now I've been searching for solid information and, images of latter period spathas. For some reason the 5th. century seems to be a big gap and, information is hard to come by.
Now that I have come up with a little I thought I'd post it for others who may be trying to answer my old "are there any 5th. cen. swords not covered in gold?" questions.

Most of this is my own guess work and, I not only welcome more informed opinions I would be most greatful to anyone who lets me know what I've got wrong.

From what I can tell for the most part there are two basic types. I have no idea if they have proper names already but I call them the Krefeld and, Horn types.

I'll start with my Krefeld type.
I consider it the more Roman due to the fact that the two swords I know of that have partial hilts( Krefeld-Gelep gr.43 and, Feltwell) seem to follow the tradition of wood guard, ivory or, bone grip and, wood pommel/upper guard.
The scabbard fittings are also very simmilar in the Krefeld sword and, the sword from Petersfinger gr.21. The Feltwells are somewhat different in decoration but, basic shape is the same.

I'll start with that and, this drawing. Am I anywhere near the mark?
Dave Akers.

Messages In This Thread
Later Period Spathas design and construction - by Firmus4474 - 05-15-2007, 04:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early Spathas? santell 0 894 04-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Last Post: santell