Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hod Hill sword
Thanks! Really helpful. I'm now convinced that there is no series of thin lines- its simply the engravers shading lines. As Suhel says, this is the prototype!
Cheers (und vielen dank Jurgen und Carsten)

Paul
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
No problem, glad I could help you, although Carsten was faster). I'm looking forward to the end-result.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Well, its been a long time, but it arrived tonight. Awesome. I cannot tell you how pleased I am- lovely feel in the hand, and a dream come true. Thanks to Suhel, all at Al Hamdd, and of course to Adrian/ Peronis. More pics tomorrow in full kit.
[Image: IMG_2874.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2877.jpg]

And shortly available from Adrian at Armamentaria!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
I would love to know how long the handle is.

Looks promising Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It really looks awesome, congrats Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi,

Total handle length 158mm, grip 92 mm.

And heres a pic from this weekend at the Lunt- Hod Hill sword to the front! And Fatalis (Len Morgan) - the primus pilus- in background.

[Image: auxilia.jpg]

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Looks great. Glad to hear the grip is a good length Big Grin

I want one for my batavian auxilia impression!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
[Image: DSCF1498.jpg]
wow, that is a work of art - great stuff!

I am jealous Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Please don't take this the wrong way, as I mean no disrespect. But the sword looks out of place...It seems far too "fancy" to be a weapon, auxilliary or not. How often do we see weaponry components decorated in such a way? Is there any indication that the this sword maybe wasn't used for combat? Or used as a frontline weapon of war?

Given that picture, it stands out...but it stands out too much.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Please don't take this the wrong way, as I mean no disrespect. But the sword looks out of place...It seems far too "fancy" to be a weapon, auxilliary or not. How often do we see weaponry components decorated in such a way? Is there any indication that the this sword maybe wasn't used for combat? Or used as a frontline weapon of war?

Given that picture, it stands out...but it stands out too much.

I can't say I agree with you here Matt... Too fancy to be a weapon? The scabbard is actually pretty plain when compared to a lot of other original scabbards...

What do you think is more fancy, this Hod Hill scabbard or this scabbard? Smile

[Image: London%20(19).JPG]

If you are talking about the handle of the sword I don't agree either. A pommel and guard encased in silver sheet is a lot more difficult to make than the Hod Hill handle... And we know these existed:

[Image: milit-gladius.jpg]

I think this is a matter of modern preconception and taste...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm not talking about the scabbard, I meant to say the hilt components...guard, pommel, grip. Sorry, should have specified. 8)

Legion: TBD
Quote:I'm not talking about the scabbard, I meant to say the hilt components...guard, pommel, grip. Sorry, should have specified. 8)

As Jef also posted, this handle seems 'fashion' or 'decorative' to us, but this is probably also because our view is focussed (although that isn't quite the right term I'm searching for) by the range of Deepeeka stuff. Everything we examine we compare to our modern 'window of knowledge'. This wouldn't say anything on how the Romans would have looked at it. As we discussed somewhere else already, value was probably a lot more a matter of the materials used then of the time the craftman would spend on it.

In this case, on first sight, it's a special decorated handle (that is, we didn't see such a piece in re-enactment before, so that's make it special). When we look better (as Jef also posted) we see an handle which is build of different parts made of different materials (but overall good available stuff). So would it realy be 'to good to be a combat sword'. (compare this sword for instance with the late la tene swords from the lower Rhine delta, as it has won a hasta pura award lately) We're getting again to the parade gear discussion, which we doesn't have to repeat here, but the Roman soldiers AND auxilia liked 'highly decorated stuff' much, surely in republican period and early imperial.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Agree completely about the decoration comments- and if you really want combat bling, have a look at some of the Late Roman helmets- sheathed in silver and then gilded (and sometime with jewels added for extra effect....)

And (having swung the Hod Hill sword around a fair bit now), the central brass knob in the handle with its diagonal scorring is a vital part of the grip. Fact is , the grip works it practise very well- its not just for decoration!

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
This is by no means unique either Matt. There are various finds from the UK of this type of guard plate fitting. Mostly from the South West of England. Definately derived of British influence/craftsmanship.
[Image: HodHill.jpg]
[Image: fig19.gif]
[Image: HodHilldecorationpic.jpg]