Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting the Ancients
Some of the Mycenaean kings, the so-called "Hero of Lefkandi", Pericles, Alcibiades, Romanos IV Diogenes, Constantine Palaiologus...
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:So you might say i've met Herodotus and i dont think i like him very much.
Wait until you've reached the end of the book, and I promise you will like him.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:
Jona Lendering:163r73o1 Wrote:On a more mundane level: I'd love to meet Herodotus, Aristotle, Seleucus, Pliny the Elder, Marcus Aurelius, and Synesius of Cyrene.

you'll all laugh at me but i swear..... i was just beginning The Histories.. and chose a bad time to do it. i was exhausted and fell asleep in the middle of the first page, slouched in my chair, one eye open still trying to read before i was unconcious - and at THAT moment i swear to GOD i heard someone actual yell at me to "Put the D*mn Book down and go to sleep!" and in my mind i saw a bearded man in a toga giving me the nastiest look :x

So you might say i've met Herodotus and i dont think i like him very much :?
needless to say i did put the book down and took a proper nap.

He was giving you the best of advice! There is no point in trying to study
when you need sleep.... :wink: He is just a serious man.... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
well he might have gone about it a little nicer - i seriously jumped when i heard someone yelling!
i was home alone, no sound at all, kids were asleep..... and suddenly i'm being shouted at. not nice! Confusedhock:

((Admittedly he was nicer than any one of my college professors would have been))
Ötzi
Ramesses II
Hammurabi
The last king of Troy VI.. or VII.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Julian the apostate, just to sit in silence with him for a while and trying to figure what`s it all about.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:call me simple, but i havent got any profound questions to ask any of them.... except maybe to challenge them to a game of Monopoly lol that's always been a good way to get to know someone's true personality! :wink:

Haha thats classic!, Can you imagine playing a Game of Monopoly with some of histories greats..

I think my perfect game would be Caesar, Marius and Churchill and Me! (not that im one of histories greats but ive got to play too!)

Would be well interesting if one of them threw a strop! "Thats it!, I declare WAR!!" ... or even worse if i decided to play RISK! can you imagine!!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
I would definatly want to meet Jesus Christ......First thing I would ask is..

'Why the hell didnt you answer any of my calls?
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Big Grin D Good one!!

Personally id like to bump into many historical figure including:
Vercingetorix.Julius Caesar,Germanicus,Napoleon and finally....Jack the Ripper,just to figure out who he was.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Moe
Larry
Curly
and of course Shemp!
Thanks,
Robbie Phillips / Paetus
Achilles: Just to see whether he really kicked arse that bad.

Germanicus: A potentially great emperor and conqueror - I would aaks what went wrong.

Marc Anthony: Somehow I liked the guy, although Octavian's victory was right and necessary from the macrohistorical point of view

Antiochos III: Why was he so great early on, and later fell so deep. Why did he became suddenly inactive in Greece, and gave the initiave to the Romans.

All diadochs: In my view, all were immense personalities with almost superhuman will, strength and energy to overcome the greatest difficulties. And their numerous weaknesses make them all the more interesting.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:I would definatly want to meet Jesus Christ......First thing I would ask is..

Maybe He did, and you weren't listening. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Gaius Iulius Caesar
Sokrates
Platon (I'd be interested in his thoughts about the State)
Fredrich I Barbarossa
Otto Von Bismarck
Marcus Aurelius
Saladin
Lauri Törni
Arg...too many people :?
Topi-Veli
Salus Rei publicae summa lex tibi esto
- Herodotus, to ask him questions obviously, but also because he just seems like the type of guy who'd be good company. Thucydides, by contrast, produced some excellent work but would probably be a real downer if you met him in person.
- Suppiluliuma II, to find out what went wrong.
- Pericles, to talk about politics and government. Also to tell him about the Gettysburg Address and watch him beam with pride.
- The entire Barcid family, Hannibal, Hamilcar, Hasdrubal and Mago because we've never been able to see them from their point of view.
- Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus and Gaius Marius, because they fought for justice.
- Viriathus and Decebalus, "Give me liberty or give me death!"
- Alaric the Visigoth, because he forged a better life for his people through sheer force of will. Champion of the shorteez, and tough as nails.
- Stilicho, because of the mysterious circumstances surrounding his life.

Of course this is about ancients, but in more modern times I would have liked to meet Hiawatha and later Red Jacket.

If I could set a time machine to a particular date, I'd go with 240 BC. Giants walked the earth.
I would like to meed Herakletus even if I run the risk to hit me with his staff and refuse to explain what understood....