Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather belt construction
Okay, as I'm a little bit fascinated by this, I've chosen to make such a backside for my new cingulum I'm making for the new season.

I just started a test piece of about 45 cm long, which I thought would be nice to share. It's constructed out of a central piece of thick, strong linnen folded within a piece of furniture leather (I think about 1.2 - 1.5 mm thick).

[Image: beltTest01.jpg]

So far it seems you wouldn't recognise the seam at first sight and that is's a really strong construction. But still need to do a lot of stichting and attaching some heavy beltparts to test the piece.

[Image: beltTest02.jpg]

Note that this, as being a test piece, has badly done stitching. I didn't put in any effort to get the stitching look nice.

[Image: beltTest03.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
It's very nice, indeed. :lol:
Quote:Salvete,

We know the Romans often used several layers of leather to make the belt for a balteus.

[Image: 214822260108_rmg8a.jpg]

On this last belt you can see how the zone where the apron is attached is cut open and the apron is inserted between the two layers of leather.

How in earth is this done? Smile

You can clearly see that the belts consist out of two layers of leather, both the front and back are the smooth side of the leather. The edges are round (so folded IMO, not cut edges). But I can not see a seam.

I've been pondering this for a very long time. Can someone tell me how this can be done? I would be able to sleep better at night if I know.

Any opinions are very welcome!

Valete,
Falco

As I am doing this belt, I have been thinking about several techniques to do this. It is possible that each strap is a separate one, but it is also possible they are all made from one piece , that is inserted into the belt.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, I'm planning to cut them out of one piece which is insterted into the belt body. This because that's far stronger and easier attached then all loose straps.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Another possibility is they are made from the same piece of leather as the belt. Looking at Eriks, it seems the leather of the belt is as thick as the straps.

But it could be an illusion.

That is the one I favour too Jurjen. I need to see how long they need to be though, as I may not have enough of the apron plates...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
They could be cut from the same hide for sure, I think. I'm planning of do a decorative row of stitching along their edges too (and to make them stronger, as the leather will be thin anyway.

But It's impossible to make it out of one piece, as the apron comes from within the belt with it's outside to the front (so It must be an loose part). That would also be more efficient for the use of your leather hide.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, but one has to put forward theories, just to see if others see the same faults.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Okay, just rivetted the plates to the test piece. At first sight, it seems to be a very strong and good construction method Big Grin The linnen part really make it stiff.

[Image: beltTest04.jpg]

[Image: beltTest05.jpg]

[Image: beltTest06.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Be sure to take a tool and tap the corners of your rivets in. Those can snag your tunic. Or your hand. I wonder why they didn't seem to use round washers? Oh, well.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah, for the final piece I surely will make better ones. For this test this was the fastest way. I don't am patient by nature, so I don't can stimulate myself to take more time to do it nice, if it's just a test piece.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice work Jurjen. I did the same test some time ago, but I wasn't able to take pictures. My cat has demolished the test piece since then...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Demetrius, the did use something called bell-caps. Brian Stobbs has done a lot to prove the technique.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Now I only need to search for a nice piece of leather for the final belt. All the plates are ready to be tinned/silvered (not sure what I'm going to do yet)

Byron, do you've picture os those bell-caps. I don't have any clue what is meant by that?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Not sure if Brian has posted any or not, but basically it is a small dome,
The rivet is peened onto it, the edge of the dome grips the leathersecurely, wit hout having to crush the rivet onto the flat washer and crushing the leather in the process. Having seen the technique work, I am convinced. Big Grin 8)

I have yet to experiment my self, but when I do, I will post some pics, if Brian does not do so first, since it is his technique. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So where can we get a little baggie of bell caps?

We wants them, My Precious! Yesssss....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cingulum Belt sewing and leather colour Zarathustra 1 443 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Belt Apron Terminals - Construction Advice. Titus Marius Secundus 2 1,305 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  Belt Advice on Construction Titus Marius Secundus 75 16,492 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Crispvs