Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese mask by me
Are you putting it on a helmet Kyrki?
Good choice with the armourer!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Are you putting it on a helmet Kyrki?
Good choice with the armourer!

No Byron, I will use it mainly as a kind of "vanitas" wall-hanger :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:When you do the shaping of the metal, say, the nose, do you use a recessed (negative) form and beat the metal into it, or a raised (positive) form and beat the metal on it? I clearly don't understand how that process works, but I'd like to.
http://photofile.name/users/nieczar/3575763/
thanx a lot for so many good words about my work

I tryed to make the mask as similar to oryginal as it's possible

thanx for aprobate Big Grin

this mask is welded in 2 pieces (it was customer's chojce) : the nose and the rest of the face ...but it's only modern way of technology what I used ...maybe exept cutting bigger parts and cleaning surface
I use hand repoussing by cold and hot way ...there's no stamps and matrix for forming details

off course I'm able to do same mask by raising way ,but first I must to get some order for this Smile
Big Grin Splendid Patrik, near identical to the original ..! So, What could be your price for such a mask proceded by raising way ?

Thanks in advance and again congratulations for such a work

Sextus Aurelius Propertius
aka Eric-Alexandre POHER
hello

...the mask is done Big Grin

more pictures of this in my Photofile, link below

http://photofile.name/users/nieczar/3675439/
Very nice work!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
A very nice mask you've made. Well done. Only comments I have is that, to me, the upper hole of the set of 3 should be a little more to the right and the edging shouldn't be out of one piece on the top, but one piece all the way around with a space above the 3 holes. Also the attachment method of the holes on the top edge shouldn't be in the edge directly but with thongs folded over, as you did on the sides.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Is it covered with silver sheet metal now? Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Jurjenius,

The original 3 center holes are disposed as Niezcar have did:

[Image: 1632387283_4484e5d017.jpg?v=0]

In that image that i have founded in a google search, you can see too how the upper border is riveted directly, without the thongs. The discontinuity on the upper border seems to be a damage, and not the piece be made in two parts.

An extra detailed picture is here:

http://www.geschichte.uni-osnabrueck.de ... per003.jpg

Niezcar,

Congratulations on such good work. Briliant!
Quote:Is it covered with silver sheet metal now? Smile

No, it is made of thick iron with satin finish polish, just as I ordered. I think Nieczar could very well have done a mask covered with silver sheet but that would have been way out of my leaque money-wise :wink: ! I originally ordered this item just as a decoration on my wall in the memory of the "varusschlacht" 2000 years ago. Perhaps the original mask has nothing to do with the real event after all but anyway it is COOL...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
hello

thanx a lot Big Grin

I can promes next mask will be one level higher Smile mrgreen:

off cource it's no problem to make the mask covered by silver or made direct in silver plate ...only the price'll be much differend
Cesar The original mask dose have a gap in the edging at the top center of about 5mm, with a bronze tab and rivet the bronze tab and rivet on the other side of the 5mm gap is missing. It is not damage for this gap is there for what may have allowed a hook used in association with the 3 holes to pass thro' the edge strip, there is also on the original another 4 holes under the bronze edging, one at each top corner and one at each lower cheek area very similar to the mask from Vechen. Infact when we look at the Vetchen mask it appears to be yet another from the same workshop as the Kalkriese.
Brian Stobbs
Very good work indeed, Patryk!
thanx one more time Big Grin

Pfilus Estilius, have You some picture of the mask from Vetchen ?
...for me it's not clear soloution of the mask attaching Sad ...is it possible You can show some drow or of this ...just for the future to next realisations of the mask

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kalkriese mask III - raised one Nieczar 12 3,198 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Kalkriese mask by Nieczar part II Nieczar 36 7,428 07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Nieczar
  Interesting article about the Kalkriese mask! Virilis 20 5,325 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs