Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Handle Help...
Yes, What Magnus said Big Grin
Also, you can get bar steel that is the proper width and thickness right off the shelf.
Why make more work for yourself?
Look for a Metals Plus or Metals Super Market type of place (any steel supplier should carry it.)
You can cut it to length with either a thin cutoff wheel for your angle grinder or even a hacksaw
Same goes for the tang.
Look into the flap disk sanding wheels as well. They come in different grits fom 60 - 120 and are a godsend for stock removal and bring to a pre-polish state.
[url:2mar37gc]http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FRF/IOMM/F9AZJK09/FRFIOMMF9AZJK09.MEDIUM.jpg[/url]
oh, and be sure to wear eye protection and a respirator if doing this indoors or you will be coughing up black stuff for days.
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Thanks! I'm glad I know what to get now! Now just a couple more things...
When heating the blade in the oven, you mean just let it set on a rack for an hour, then let it completley cool slowly in the oven, then reheat again two more time the same way?
Is the respirator mentioned just those cheap little cloth/paper masks that go over your mouth and nose, or something like a gas mask?
Now I have to see if my grandpa or friends have a grinder I can borrow for now. Or I'll just try to buy one right away. I'll keep coming back to post pics of progress and any more questions. Thanks so much for all your time and help.

-Nihonius
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Hey Jared, yeah, just stick the blade into the oven on a rack (hopefully it fits) and let it sit. Again, this isn't necessary for a reenactment blade, but not a bad idea.

Legion: TBD
I'd like it to be ready for use if needed. Burglars, enemy soldiers, aliens, whatever Tongue

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
There are cheaper grinders that would do the same job Smile
http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIPPING-North ... 7C294%3A50
This is an example, if you have never ground a blade it is best to try first with a cheap grinder then go for a good make, I rarely pay no more than $35-40 for one. As to cutting the blade out, eithier a hack saw blade or a cutting disc will do the job
[Image: P4060004.jpg]
The botttom one is 1mm thick and is ideal for cutting points and best part of the tang out with. Then you can do as Magnvs says to finish the cutting. If you do cut the tang with a hacksaw it could take about 40+ minutes to do so cutting the bulk of with a disc will save you Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hey thanks Brennivs! I was just looking for grinders and good deals. That one is a really inexpensive one, but if you say it works good I think I'll try it out! Thanks for the grinding wheel pic too, I'm really looking forward to doing this (if I can ever get away from school or work...)

Thanks!

-Nihonius

Carpe Dium
Angle grinders are GREAT fun, once you get over how scary and dangerous they are. Showers of hot sparks! Very versatile weapon, uh, TOOL.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hahaha! Lol! I guess my grandpa actually already owns one and knows how to use it, so I'm sure he can give me a little safety instruction and such. Any chance of going up in flames? I'll at least be sure to wear heavy old clothes and keep a bucket of water near by if needed.

Carpe Dium
Jared, the bucket of water is a good idea. I suppose if a hot enough spark hit some saw dust it's possible it could.

Legion: TBD
Actually, the 'going up in flames ' scenario is a very real one, but perhaps not quite the way you are thinking! :lol:

I had about a dozen go up in flames or burn out on me on board a rig during an Atlantic crossing. Not sure if they were cheap products, the power supply was wrong, the heat, or a combination of all three.

So a fire extinquisher, CO2 variety is a good idea too! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And of course, if the electric motor in the grinder catches fire, don't throw it into the bucket of water. :!: ZAP! Confusedhock:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Lol! I guess as long as I'm not taking a bath while working, I shouldnt go :!: Zap :!:

Off topic:
So what did you do at sea Gaius?

Carpe Dium
Quote:Is the respirator mentioned just those cheap little cloth/paper masks that go over your mouth and nose, or something like a gas mask?
-Nihonius

Yeah, a paper dust mask should do just fine- the particles are fine but not so fine as to make a true respirator necessary.

Quote:I'd like it to be ready for use if needed. Burglars, enemy soldiers, aliens, whatever Tongue

I have mine in case of Zombie attack LOL

Quote:Hahaha! Lol! I guess my grandpa actually already owns one and knows how to use it, so I'm sure he can give me a little safety instruction and such.

Good- angle grinders are excellent tools, but they're dangerous too if you're not careful; the most important rules are to ALWAYS make sure the switch is off when you plug it in since the torque can cause it to jump out of your hand if it starts up unexpectedly, and to ALWAYS lay it down face up so that if it gets switched on unintentionally, it won't necessarily go flying into whatever
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ahh, good tips Matt. Thank you! And how silly of me to forget about the zombies! Gotta really hack them up to put em back to sleep. LOL! :twisted:

Carpe Dium
Quote:Lol! I guess as long as I'm not taking a bath while working, I shouldnt go :!: Zap :!:

Off topic:
So what did you do at sea Gaius?

That time we were taking a rig across from Brazil to Los Palmas!
Brazil was interesting! Smile
Also saw a pod of Hump-back whales breaching.....awesome!

Was installing sound proofing in various places, cutting the SS cartridges with a grinder to fit.....was to lead onto a job back down in Brazil, but it fell through at the last minute....
what a let down! Sad roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a gladius handle Francisco Gutierrez 1 1,158 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Bone for Gladius handle lyuv 8 5,780 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Inexpensive way to add an Eagle Head handle to a gladius AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 15 6,953 08-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Aetius Helvius Merula