Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illerup Adal
Quote:Those scabbards you mentioned Medicus Matt? Are they usable for a hispaniansis?

What, those short pokey-pokey things? These are for northern Germanic/scandinavian chaps...they liked proper swords. :wink:

Do you know, I don't recall anything other than spathas but then that's what I'm interested in. I will go and have a look now to osee if there's anything shorter.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Well thats just it, these hispaniansis blades I have are pretty long. Mind, it's been so long since Ive seen them I can't recall exactly how long. :roll:
That's what made me think perhaps a reasonbly Roman looking scabbard might have been suitable.
Just clutching at straws really. Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Ingvar Sigurdson:1q8gmh5q Wrote:Thanks for the correction...offshore at the moment , miles away from my library :oops:
Ingvar

Dave Huggins
Ulfhednar England
I

Same here...where are you Dave?

Thanks for the responses gents....sorry haven't been on this thread for a few days...

Medic on the Britannia in the Leman field Southern Sector, and then over to the Dutch sector mid August. The GermanIc Sea! :wink:

Ingvar

Dave Huggins
Ulfhednar England
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Ahhhh, south.....I keep dreaming of a post in Italy or anywhere in the Med..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What are the things that look like old-fashioned porcelain doorknobs?
Pecunia non olet
I was thinking they were stones that people had thrown into the lake/bog? Could be wrong though!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Back from Moesgard.
Here some pictures

Matt
Stil 12 volumes.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
The sword fittings look as if the were made yesterday!
The scabbard is in amazing condition.
All of the pieces do in fact!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Fratres,

Just a comment on the " Porcelain Doorknobs". Granted, here, we are far afield from scandanavia both in distance and cultural affinity but local folk lore in this part of the Balkans states that one way to get a wish granted by the spirits is to throw an unblemished white stone into the river as you repeat the request. Could be something similiar going on in the Ilerup Adal Lake / Bog.

Are there a large number of the white stones? Anything similiar in Danish Folklore?

Regards from a sunny but pleasant Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
Quote:What are the things that look like old-fashioned porcelain doorknobs?

I think that they're fire-lighting stones. The wooden handled object is the 'steel' and the stones (rather than flints) were chunky discs with a groove around the circumference.
They turn up in all the Danish bog deposits.
Hard to tell from the photo though.
[attachment=0:3pbxi144]<!-- ia0 illerup.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3pbxi144]
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Well, I can almost see a groove on one of the stones, butthen there is one stone that is rough, the others seem to fit the 'blemish free' description.....
But changing tact for a sec, see that nice spear head near the top right stone? What are the 2 cylinrical items with the length ways groove/ridges? The shaft or something else?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The comment about these artifacts as displayed in the museum.
Sorry for the reflection of the cameraflash.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Some more from last year.
Shield is 1mtr in diameter 1,2cm in the middle 4mm at the edge.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Ave Fratres,

Thanks for clearing up the stone question! I have not seen fire starters like that before. Are they unique to northern Europe or will you find them in eastern Europe as well? Makes more sense to sacrifice something valuable, than making a request and tossing in a stone as the folks here did. Do you think the combs and fire starters were sort of the entry level offering,...or were smaller items found?

I guess if the item is valuable to the individual, it's size or composition were irrelevant.... Too many questions over coffee this morning. So will stop here. I find this fascinating.

Regards to all from a sunny and warm Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
About smaller things:
Beltbuckles, glass and amber beads, bone dices, wooden toothpicks etc.
The shafts of the axes are original, the longest lenght about 60 cm.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Illerup Adal Swords marcos 14 5,262 11-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs