Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculum
I think the tools the doctors use today are not quite diferent.
No they're not...stilll, having undergone minor eye surgery.....anything beyond that takes on the trapping of torture.....as was the eye surgery.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:... an anus as torture perhaps.... Confusedhock:
Reminds me of the skeleton found at one of Spanish sites -- Osuna? -- with a pilum clearly inserted up through the pelvis. Confusedhock:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Impaling was a way of torturing people I guess..... Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think impalement goes a little further than 'just' torture, Byron. :?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I think impalement goes a little further than 'just' torture, Byron. :?
No speculum is going to help you there! :lol: But it reminds me of the sling bullets inscribed with the promise that they were destined for the recipient's nether regions! Now there's a job for your speculum!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Sling bullets were the use I thought of, but I wasn't thinking of impalement cure, more a use to ensure the victim remained alive while
impalement was occuring..... :|
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The impalement was found in the siege destruction levels of Valentia (east of Spain).
Can we refocus from the interesting impalement sidestep please.
There must be a medical scholar amongst us who can shed some light on this? We have had medical doctors amongst our audience who all perfectly wel lunderstand the purpose of the speculum, i.e. removing genital warts and such or even easing a curetting procedure, but none could provide a plausible explanation for the handles. Sometimes these are quite flimsy so that would exclude putting pressure or torque on them. Nor do they provide a steady working platform for the hands. So what is there purpose?
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Yes, i was feeling a bit queasy there!

Perhaps Maximio will know?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The present day speculum is very different from the one shown. It has the shape op a ducks beak, which can be held open by flipping a latch into place once the desired spead of the tissue has been reached. That is the reason for the screw, I would think. It holds the device open to allow acces to the inside of the vagina and the uterus. For spreading a wound, a totaly differnt type of device would be used.

I am very interested in medical instuments, as my wife is considering joining me in the role of GP medica Big Grin . So I would also really appreciate any help on getting good drawings of medical instuments with a corresponding scale. This wonderfull piece of workmanship is way out of my reach, but I believe I can make her some good scalpels, probes, tweezers and bone forceps. I would also really appreciate some thought on a medicine box in which to store her equipment.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I wanted to give Martin a Karma point for sharing another wonderfull creation, even if he did not take all the credit, but I can't. And I noticed he has one lousy point Confusedhock: to his name, after all he has done in the way of freely sharing his knowledge, mainly on shoes . So could I call on each participant on this thread to please do what I as yet can't, and give Martin a well deserved "Karma shower" :wink: ?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks to (a) user(s) giving basically only bad Karma, the system was disabled. Until Jasper finds a solution of how to enable only positive Karma it will stay this way. I support this measure, since in general it is better to shut up, if one doesn´t have to say sthg. positive... Of course I should brush in front of my own door, first... Wink
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I was wondering what had happened to the Karma icons.....
Yes good will to martin and the persone who made this instrument, plus all of martins other good deeds!
Still need to get those shoe measurements to him.......procrastination...thats what caused the empire to tumble! :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That probably calls for some field testing. Confusedhock: :oops:

Is that a volunteer????? :roll:

probably not, I cannot imagine anyone voluntarily letting one use something like that.

But the craftsmanship is wondrous to look at, great work!
Vale, Bryan
(Titus Rustius Lupus)
Armatus Et Ebrius

LEG XXX, Ulpia Victrix
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for having patience with me...