Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sassanian - Roman Saddle
Actually if anyone has any links to where I can buy some of the hardware that is used on the breastcollars and croupers of the saddles that would be great. I cant seem to find those anywhere and may need to make them myself. Any links or help would be much appreciated. All of the leather work I can do myself, I just need the actual hardware.

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
I am enjoying your Eastern input into the Romano-Celtic saddle debate. It displays a different angle on an old discussion. The argument that the copper alloy plates may help protect the saddle or the rider is one I have read before. But to be honest in a context of an armoured saddle it would not matter too much if the plates were mounted eternally or internally. The fact that individual names are recorded on the plates my suggest they could be used for identification purposes. But the existing leather saddle covers probably give more glues to the nature of construction. The idea that the leather cover can hang down either side of the frame and that it could be removed is a major potential step forward. Below is one of the covers from Carlisle.

[attachment=0:36ifathd]<!-- ia0 saddle cover 2nd century Carlisle.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:36ifathd]

May I ask how heavy your saddle is? My saddle is a light 4.8kg design, easily carried and stored, with very little padding for the riders comfort. The second saddle I used was a little larger, at 5.2 kg, while Connolly’s initial reconstruction was 6.8kg. The variance partly being due to size, the copper alloy stiffeners or lack of them, and the amount of stuffing in the saddle. Padded versions of these saddles made without a wooden frame often have a metal bar towards the front of the saddle for stability. Reconstructions are generally very heavy at 11-12kg, and larger than examples based on a wooden frame.

Roman cavalry harness fittings can be purchased from a whole range of traders. http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... Path=13_38 is a good start. But the fittings must represent the period you are trying to represent. Reconstructions of tack from the 1st and 2nd centuries are generally highly decorated with copper alloy fittings, often tinned or silvered, based on archaeological finds. Few such fittings date from the 4th or 5th centuries. However throughout the Roman period there was large scale use of amulets on horse tack made from the bases of shed antlers. The denticulated edge is no more than the natural coronet of the burr, channelled and perforated by the presence of blood vessels in the velvet during growth. One or more holes drilled in the disc allowed for suspension from the harness. The most common design is the phallus, perhaps to ward off the evil eye, and the use of antler may suggest that it had some special talismanic significance.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Thank you John for all of the input. I will weigh the saddle and let you know. The pictures do not show my girth attachments. My girth attachments slip through the saddle and hang long billets. I also made the girth. I will take a picture and post those as well. This saddle is pretty light and very durable feeling. So good question I would be interested to know the weight of it myself. As for the fittings, I have a Sassanian Style breastplate for it, the large round discs with lions heads on it. Going to make a bridle for it. The bridle is a modern bridle decorated. But soon I will make the breastcollar, crouper and bridle in a simple form to match. Based on Sassanian wall carvings, but I will make two. One set that is generic that will match Roman styles and one that will be more pure Sassanid style. The Romans and Persians used a lot of the same style attachments and decorative work. So, I am not certain yet which style I want to make. Like I said I have to finish up the crouper for my sassanian set and then will build the more generic style Romano Sassanian style. Either way, the decorative plates match those on my bow and arrow quivers as well. So things tie together very well. But at this point, my Attention Deficit is kicking in and I need to focus and just build one. hahaha

Anyway, thank you for writing. I have to say, EVERYONE I have come across on this board is so helpful and so nice. Thank you everyone. John thank you. I will get back with some photos and weight for you.
Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
John the saddle with all of the attached strappings is 6.0 Kg

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
So here is a picture of the saddle I just took with the billets and the girth that I made. The girth is flat double leather with two heavy duty leather billets stretching across the entire length. It is super heavy duty.
Ardeshir Radpour
So the weight of the saddle on the scale says 6.0 kg and in pounds 13.2 pounds. Again, that is ash wood, very strong, wool felt wrapping the entire saddle, rawhide strappings, brass drings and rivets, natural vegetable tanned leather and sinew stitching. Also, here is a rough picture of the saddle with the Sassanid breastcollar. The saddle that is the tree only is not my tree, it is the first tree we made for a friend. But you can see the breastcollar in it. The one with the white tree is mine. And ofcourse the sideview is the white tree all covered in leather.
Ardeshir Radpour
Excellent photos and Awesome "Saddlery?" (don't know real term for saddle making). Anyway very nice... you have got to post pictures of an impression if you can. Confusedhock:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
I dont have an impression with the saddle yet. But here are a couple Sassanian Impressions. I will be posting more of my photos on my site soon. www.radpour.com
Ardeshir Radpour
That'll do! What period are you representing? Interesting chest band.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Well, it would range from the periods that would cover Ardeshir I to the fall of the Sassanian Empire. It would just depend on specific defenses such as manica for arms and legs or lamellar, etc. But it will cover a wide period. Also, auxiliary Persians serving in the Roman army.
Ardeshir Radpour
I wasn't sure but I thought so. Thanks again!
Craig Bellofatto

Wow, great impression. Can see what gave the Romans such a hard time.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you. It is an ongoing project. I will overtime work on the Lamellar and cataphract horse armor as well. Just takes a lot of time and money. haha. Im just glad I got the saddle done. I will work on some of the harnessing next and something that no one ever thought of or use, a mounting strap. Simple loop strap that allows a cataphract to mount.

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
Quote:Thank you. It is an ongoing project. I will overtime work on the Lamellar and cataphract horse armor as well. Just takes a lot of time and money. haha. Im just glad I got the saddle done. I will work on some of the harnessing next and something that no one ever thought of or use, a mounting strap. Simple loop strap that allows a cataphract to mount.

Ardeshir

Actually I recall someone mention that , somewhere.....can't recall if it was here or a conversation with someone....I
seem to recall a metion of an image which they interpreted as such. :? ?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great impression Ardeshir. I wished you lived in Europe. So far the best impressions of cataphracts live far away overseas...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Saddle/s photos needed bachmat66 4 2,420 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Where can one find Roman cavalry style saddle? ohcapt13 19 6,237 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Roman Saddle JesseB 5 2,279 11-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Last Post: JesseB