Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving Deepeeka caligae, shoes
We did have a discussion at last Saturday's fabrica on copyright of historical artifacts. The original can't be copyrighted by it's long dead creator, but can interpretations be? And it may well vary by country too.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Anything that is better than their interpretation of Roman Caligea at the moment, has to be a bonus. Having said that, If? If? they get a quality pair to copy, then there WILL be NO excuse as to getting them wrong.
Its a Big Ask....maybe they will come through, if they don't, then I hate to think of the consequences.
Sizes will always be an issue......I suggest giving a sole length in cm rather than a shoe size..
Kevin
Kevin
The reason I ask for a model is to try to match finish, stitch, leather besides the latter. We have created many things in the past, and as soon as we are ready to launch- we have had to go back to square one. It's takes more time and effort. So, that's why I ask for a finish model- not something we would like this one too- but something g more common for Roman usage.

Thank you for the nails- got a message from Sam about them.

Regards

Gatan
And if we all get a result from this Gagan.....can you do sole sizes in cm please.
Kevin
Kevin
In that case just buy a pair of DSC's Big Grin

I agree Kevin, the sizing is always off. I had to get mine a full size smaller than indicated and they are still a bit loose.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Simple answer is, don't put a finish on them. Send them out as veg tanned leather, and let the end user finish, dye, oil etc... as they please. Putting a finish on as the factory really limits out ability to make them our own...
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Dear Richard

I received the hobnails today by mail- thank you for the same.

On first examination, it seems these are die cast steel, but am not sure. Will these hold for a long time ?

Also, I am awaiting the pattern for making the new sandal models.

Gagan
Glad you got them. I have no idea how they were made or who did them. We had the opportunity years ago to get some and I stocked up for our group. They have held up pretty well in the shoes we have made subsequently. They are the correct shape and size, though if the shank is a bit longer that would be fine too I suspect. I think the large ones hold up better since they have more metal on them.

I am still working on the shoe model. Sam told me he was coming to India at the end of October and I was planning on giving them to him.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Can I buy a good pair to copy ? Can anyone suggest a place ?
I have a pair of DSC Mainz that I can show Sam this weekend.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Can anyone suggest where I can buy the best possible model that most of the people would want to buy ?
Are you going to make a reproduction of a reproduction?
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
WelI need a pair to show me quality of leather, stitches, sizing.

From what I have been reading, people are not at all happy with our existing model.

Patterns are always good, but dont show the stitch or the leather or the sole.

Gagan
Quote:Can anyone suggest where I can buy the best possible model that most of the people would want to buy ?

http://www.history-revisited.com/detail/...cial-price

But I don't think DSC would be too happy...
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
So, we all agree that the DSC model is the best so far in the market in acceptable quality.

Gagan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improving the old Deepeeka Auxilary Infantry B ? dave74 1 1,380 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti